Monday, November 03, 2008

Vote

I remember going to vote with my mom at the courthouse or the lobby of my elementary school, and standing behind the curtain with her while she filled in her ballot. It seemed like a big deal. I've only once ever voted at the polls, getting up in the dark, driving to the polling place in my work clothes, then dropping off my car at the Park-N-Ride before boarding the bus downtown to my first job. After that, my state encouraged absentee ballots and eventually went to vote-by-mail. I think we're the only state in the country that won't have a single in-person polling place.

There's something a bit sad about that, but I'm all about progress. I miss the grey-haired ladies checking off the signatures and handing out the ballots, but this is the way of the future. And I still get the satisfaction of a paper ballot and a pencil, but I get to use them next to my laptop and my voters' pamphlet at my kitchen table (well, actually, at Panera Bread, while eating a bacon spinach souffle).

Now if someone would just give me an "I Voted" sticker, everything would be perfect.

Go out and vote tomorrow. And eat some bacon for me too.

2 comments:

megolomaniac said...

I know! I got a call from some sweet woman in Montana with the Obama campaign yesterday telling me that my polling place was Washington Middle School (which is right across the street from my mom's house). I never did get to vote there...

And I remember when I was in high school I would watch the election returns and wonder why the hell Oregon took so damn long to count their ballots. Now I know.

NaBloPoMo subject/topic suggestions: I'd love to hear about your (and Theo's) Halloween. And I'd like to know what you miss about Deutschland.

britten said...

I made my own stickers this year that said "I voted by mail" and passed 'em out. Sorry I didn't save one for you!