Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Grandma's Chili

Today was cold and rainy, just the kind of day when I drag out my recipe binder and dig through to find my grandmother's chili recipe. It's written in her handwriting on a recipe card from her kitchen. Although it doesn't require any exotic ingredients or unexpected flavors, it's what I crave when I want some chili. Haul out your Crock-Pot and enjoy when you're sick of leftover turkey:

Grandma Liz's Chili
2lb hamburger
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 (15oz) cans chili or kidney beans
2 (16oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (6oz) can tomato sauce or paste
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder

Brown hamburger, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for one hour to 1 1/2 hours.

(Special note from Grandma at the bottom: "I cook mine in Crock-Pot overnite on low, Grandpa always had a bowl full for breakfast.")

2 comments:

merrymishaps said...

This is very similar to the chili I learned to make from my mother. Only no ingredients are measured (other than the cans), and swap the garlic for cayenne pepper. I'll try adding it next time!

I've been a vegetarian (well, pescetarian) since I started cooking for myself, so my version also substitutes Morningstar Crumblers for the meat :)

Katie said...

Yum. I love old recipes in original handwriting. This shall re-christen my crock-pot come our reunion in PDX! (and hey, way to go on NaBloPoMo - you're almost there!)