Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How do I know I'm a grown-up?

Because I just agreed to buy a set of eyeglasses that costs almost twice as much as I paid for rent in my first post-college apartment. Fifteen years ago, I would have looked longingly at the frames and either continued to squint through my outdated prescription or ordered the cheapest, plainest set and then hated them. Then I would have spent five hundred dollars on the all-night locksmith because I broke my key off in the car door at midnight. Possibly.

2 comments:

barbetti said...

I've never had an apartment, but I can't imagine spending my mortgage amount on glasses. Snap. I hope I get to the point where one day, I could if I wanted to.

Blythe said...

barbetti, it's possible that this situation speaks less to my taste in glasses and more to a) the price of glasses in Germany and especially b) the sad state of my pocketbook (and 1970's ranch-style shared rental) post-college.