Monday, May 05, 2008

Favorited

DAD OWT!
Lately Theo has been expressing a preference for one of his parents. And by preference I do not mean clinging to one's leg and being dragged across the floor, because that's just how he expresses hunger. No, I mean when he wakes up in the morning he says "Daddy?" and when the phone rings he says "Daddy?" and when I say "What's my name?", he slaps my chest so hard I start to have breathing difficulties and he giggles and says "Daddy!"

My good friend Sandi tells me this is thoroughly normal. Her daughter just turned six, so my other friends of Advanced Maternal Age and I see her as a kind of oracle. She got pregnant before the rest of us and is now dealing with explaining what "giving the middle finger" means, and playing Little Mermaid board games while the rest of us are still hoping to get a full night's rest.

Sandi's daughter has always been close with her dad. We have been assured that this is an optimum scenario, since the least-favored parent status can come in handy when it's time for bed and someone requires twelve stories before her tucking-in. I can see the wisdom in that.

I'll admit, though, that I hope Theo remembers to call me Mommy eventually. According to Sandi, it will definitely happen. The drawing pictured above was posted on her daughter's door recently, following a father/daughter disagreement. It depicts Daddy, running from his angry daughter, who is shouting "DAD OWT." I think he's officially been demoted.

See what we have to look forward to?

2 comments:

Maria said...

The Boy hasn't seen Kevin since November and still wakes up asking for Daddy. The phone-- always daddy. Everything daddy... unless he wants to nurse during the night or needs something at night... then his sweet voice says momma. I can't wait for Kevin's return!

Ahnawake said...

Only Daddy will do at my house as well!! I say it's a nice reprieve!