Friday, May 02, 2008

Behind Closed Doors

Yes, that's a hot sauce stain on my jeans. And yes, Theo is humming a George Jones tune while Jeff puts the leftover root beer in the fridge. If you didn't know better, you might guess that we've been to the county fair.

Yesterday, thanks to Christina's tempting promise of Mexican delicacies, we spent the afternoon at the US military base outside Hohenfels. Their annual German-American Volksfest tempted us to make the drive, and while I'd like to say we attended in the name of international relations, we were actually just on the hunt for some decent salsa.

We arrived to a rainy day and a beerfest tent with a bratwurst stand outside the door. While we'd hoped they might allow us on the base itself (and inside the doors of that mythical stucco temple, Taco Bell), we were ushered to a runway-turned-parking-lot far outside the base's gates. Theo pointed out the horse-riding area ("Moo! Moo!"), where five or six ponies trudged around a small corral backed by 1970's country hits.

From nowhere, I caught a whiff of nacho cheese. Jeff must have smelled it too, for we turned in unison and ran, hand-in-hand, toward a row of small wooden huts. Their signs gleamed in the single ray of sunlight that had broken through the clouds: Baked Potatoes; Burritos; Hamburgers; Chili Dogs; BBQ ribs; Tacos. The angels sang.

We scurried from one to another, sampling the chili (Nalley, straight from the can, there's nothing like it), the Doritos (Nacho cheese flavor), the hot dogs with ketchup and relish. The tacos were decent, the Dr. Pepper and A&W Root Beer made them perfect. Theo scarfed bites of all of it and proved his heritage. He also begged to ride the bumper cars but was eventually satisfied with jamming to dance music and watching the big kids crash into each another.

On our way out the door, Jeff ordered two slabs of barbecued ribs wrapped in tin foil. We inhaled their scent all the way home. You'd think, after eating six lunches between us, that we might have saved them for another day.

You'd be wrong.

6 comments:

Maria said...

LOL! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! BTW-- I'm stalking you on twitter. Hope you don't mind. :)

G in Berlin said...

I wanted to go, but that's just too far away. Instead, we made a trek to Liedl for their "American" week, only to discover that American means sweet popcorn and Miraclewhip: we didn't bother with anything.

barbetti said...

I can't stand all the food references in this post, really. I think I just gained five pounds reading it.

Veronica Mitchell said...

I wonder what foods I would miss most if I moved away. Fortunately, curry is international. Right? Don't disillusion me if it isn't.

DBunny said...

I'm not sure, but I think I just gained 5lbs from reading this post.

Veronica... 'curry is international'. Never count on that, lol. I mean that different countries seem to make things their own weird little way. Especially Germans =;-) But yeah, they're a little less terrified of curry than they are of tacos.

DBunny said...

LOLOL. Just read that barbetti ALSO gained 5 lbs earlier in this comments thread. I knew it!