Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Books - April 2008

Property by Valerie Martin
Another interesting premise, another strangely disappointing execution. Momentum picks up slightly halfway through, but I never got a really good sense of the narrator and couldn't sympathize with her. There were also unexpected moments when it felt like I'd been dropped into a horror novel.

The Gatheringby Anne Enright
More of a description of one woman's reaction to her brother's death, including the emotions and memories it evokes, than a story. By the end, I didn't feel that I was in a different place than where I'd begun, but the characters were vivid and the language fluid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should go to www.goodreads.com and post all your books there. It is a great networking site to share what you are reading with the people you want.

Anne said...

I'm interested to see what you say about the Anne Enright book. I have read two of hers and found them tough going and a bit bleak (even the cheerful one about motherhood). It's kind of funny because she seems like a very cheerful person and I read an absolutely hilarious account she wrote of going to a literary festival in Kerry where she was the only person who didn't get a prize (I bet they're sorry now). Might give this a skip...