Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Winners' Circle

Last year we had 51 participants; this year, 27. I was remiss in sending my usual rounds of prodding emails because I was busy screwing up our family vacation and eating fried squid. Forgive me.

However, those of you who participated made a rousing set of predictions. It's too bad for Julie Christie and Cate Blanchett (and fortunate for Marion Cotillard and Tilda Swinton) that you aren't more prescient. A few of you were saved from humiliation by a culinary rat and/or Jason Bourne. Those of you who chose songs from "Enchanted," (a certain trash-talking film school graduate included) should really run off and watch the "Falling Slowly" video on YouTube a few more times. (Although I just found out that she is 19 years old and he is 37 and they're a couple in real life, which is a little eyebrow-raising but who am I to judge? Then I learned that they met 6 years ago when she was 13 and, well, I'm just trying to ignore that I know that.)

Each of our BIG WINNERS, Katie and Mel (who won the grand prize of a handsome Oscar the Grouch t-shirt in 2006 and came in second in 2007), will receive $25 toward the Threadless T-shirt of her choice. I expect photos.

The few, the proud, the participants (and their scores) in this year's Oscar pool (aka BOP*):

Katie - 13
Melanie - 13
Courtenay - 12
Karl - 12
Kristen - 12
B. - 11
Britten - 11
Sandi - 11
Scott - 11
Tom - 11
Anna - 10
Christina - 10
Kylee - 10
Aubrey - 9
Chad - 9
Korie - 9
Stacey - 9
Erica - 8
Jeff - 8
Megan - 8
Mike - 8
Tracy - 8
Abby - 7
Daniela - 7
BelgianWaffle - 6
Whitney - 4
Francie - 4

*Blythe's Oscar Pool

2 comments:

barbetti said...

God, how embarrassing is my position on the "Winners' Circle"? Haha.

Anonymous said...

Well, my degree in film production did me as much good in this pool as it is doing me in real life, which is to say, not a great deal.

Since you called me out on it, Blythe, I will comment on Once: my good wife and true and I started it, and made it through about fifteen minutes before the scene of the dude singing (or rather shrieking) by himself in the middle of the street before we gave up on it.

I've lost touch with my inner film snob. Give me lots of car chases and Jim Carrey in everything.

Maybe for next year's contest, I'll donate a gift certificate to our favorite drive-thru restaurant (ask Blythe or Mel, or anyone else we went to high school with).

Yes, I'll be back for next year's contest, and know this: I will drink your milkshake!