Tuesday, February 05, 2008

GOAL!!!

I love Mighty Girl's habit of setting birthday goals. Goals make me want to make a list or a spreadsheet, or a Post-It mural. Coming up with new ideas for the future and imagining what might happen during the next twelve months excites me.

Resolutions, on the other hand, are boring. They tend to be vague and unmeasurable hopes, like "Be nicer," and "Eat less sugar." Goals are really supposed to occur at a certain time and place, like "learn to cook a decent steak for Fathers' Day" and "throw away all greying white clothing before springtime."

Instead of amorphous New Year's resolutions that begin and end at a time of year when my creative energy is exhausted, I've decided to set some goals. I've come up with a few things I'd like to get accomplished before my birthday in April, when I'll put together a real live list of stuff I want to do in my thirty-eighth year. One of those short-term goals is to either stop half-assing this blog or shut it down. Sometimes I think it's time to move on to something different, and other days I know I'd really miss it. Maybe I just need to find a reliable babysitter.

We'll all know the outcome on April 14th. See you then.

7 comments:

missbeegail said...

Are you taking votes? I would miss you!

Jennifer said...

Don't shut down.... I would miss you, too!

Kerri said...

I would miss you too! Your blog gives me something to do when I am supposed to be working.
I actually laughed out loud at that John Stamos/Full House comment.

Brian said...

Blythe, you can't stop blogging. We're in the middle of file reading season. What would I do? What would keep me going? You can't say things like that right now. I'm a man on the edge.

Erin said...

You don't want Brian to have to rely solely on dooce, do you? Imagine the pressure poor Heather might feel!

Don't stop blogging, Blythe!

Katie said...

Sure hope you don't decide to stop writing on here...

Meg said...

I don't think you're half-assing it! I love the blog. You've inspired so many of us, too. Bad bloggers don't do that.