Thursday, December 06, 2007

Like Popeye

I met Heather when we were both five years old and her family moved to town and bought our house. We played Barbies and went on to put on plays in her attic, found our own cake-decorating business, and go to the prom with two boys named Mark. We were bridesmaids for each other and since I don't have any brothers and sisters she is probably the person in my life besides my parents who has known me the longest.

Heather lives in North Carolina now and I'm not sure when I'll get to see her again because we never seem to be in the same place at the same time. But I think of her whenever I make her spinach lasagna which is easy and works every time. I usually cut the recipe in half, and make it in a square pan.

Spinach Lasagna
1/2 lb lasagna noodles
1 (26 oz) jar spaghetti sauce
1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
chopped parsley

Prepare noodles as directed on the container. Combine ricotta, spinach, 1/2 cup mozzarella, parmesan, & eggs. Mix well. In a 15 x 19 baking dish, layer 1 cup sauce, half the lasagna, half the remaining sauce, all of the spinach mixture, the remaining lasagna, and the rest of the sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover and top with remaining mozzarella and parsley. Bake 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments: