Monday, December 03, 2007

Double Feature

Our weekend was busy and rainy and included a trip through Nurnberg's famous Christmas market or, as I like to think of it, Nurnberg's famous mob of tourists drinking hot wine and standing around. I have the luxury of being able to re-visit the market on a weekday when there are fewer tour buses and no lines at the bratwurst stands. I'm looking forward to it.

There's no better way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon than watching movies, so I accomplished a double feature yesterday. Katie and I caught "Atonement" at the theatre. I started the book a few years ago but never finished it because I couldn't stand the weight of impending doom every time I picked it up. The movie also has the doom factor but it's much easier to take for a couple of hours than for days on end. I loved its visual grace and complex story and characters. James McAvoy is my latest movie star boyfriend so that helped it along too. Keira Knightley bugged me less than usual and I wasn't too bothered by the few THIS IS CINEMA moments the director indulged in. The best review I can give is to say that I'm still thinking about it 24 hours later which, to me, makes it a good movie.

Then I came home and watched "Elf" on TV. I'd never seen it before and I'm not a big Will Ferrell fan but even his scenery chewing (he is the new Jim Carey, we can only hope he finds his own Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) couldn't ruin the charming story and great details. I'm glad to know the North Pole really is exactly like those stop-motion holiday specials of my youth.

3 comments:

missbeegail said...

Ever seen "Stranger Than Fiction"? I believe that might be Will Ferrell's "External Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." I recommend it!

Sandi said...

James McAvoy is MY movie boyfriend!!!

Katie said...

Elf is fantastic. Just bought the soundtrack on iTunes for the Zooey Deschnel version of "Baby, it's cold outside." Good stuff!