Saturday, November 17, 2007

You are so impressed with my creative wit.

It's Saturday night and I've had a glass of wine (Argento Malbec 2006, if you must know). It's time for one of my famous bulleted lists of unrelated information:

-We went downtown today and noted that the gigantic Nurnberg Christmas market is almost completely constructed, despite an opening day that's almost two weeks away. Again with the overzealous decking of the halls (and/or the German propensity to plan ahead).

-Italy and Scotland are currently battling for a spot in the European football championships. In case you're wondering, Cameronesi has grown his ponytail back since it was so ruthlessly sheared by his teammates after their World Cup victory. (Go Scotland)

-Does anyone have a really good stuffing recipe that doesn't require exotic ingredients like andouille sausage or chestnuts?

THEO'S BREAKFAST SOUNDTRACK: The Greatest Hits : INXS

4 comments:

Lilacspecs said...

I'll see if I can get my mum's recipe...it's totally traditional stuffing but it's really really good.

Carol said...

Not only will you love her stuffing recipe (http://thepioneerwoman.com/2007/11/the_stuffing_has_landed_i_repeat_the_stuffing_has_landed.html), but you will love her entire blog. She also has this blog, http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com/, which is dedicated solely to cooking. She is a HOOT and I adore her!

Good luck!

Carol

Nicole said...

My mom's stuffing:

-dried bread in strips (I save the heels throughout the fall)
-onion
-celery
-other vegies you like (I use broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, and sometimes bell pepper)
-butter
-sage, salt, pepper
-chicken broth (I use Campbell's Chicken w/Stars now that I'm back to the U.S., but chicken broth works just fine)

Saute the vegies in butter (I use about 1/4 c. of butter, but YMMV) until they are tender but still a little crisp. Pour the sauteed vegies over the dried bread. Add sage, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour enough chicken broth to make the mixture moist but not soaked. Press into a 9x12 pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350.

One of the reasons I like this recipe (other than that it is yummy) is that it is completely customizable to your ingredient availability. I could even make this in Prague in 2000, before a lot of specialty foods were available.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahnawake said...

My Grandma Walker's recipe...

*Cornbread (I make it myself...I can send you this recipe too, if you want...my grandma and my dad would roll over in their graves if I used store bought cornbread, but I don't think this will apply to you)
*Chicken Broth (or water that you've boiled the turkey neck and "parts" in)
*Onion
*Celery
*Sage (according to my father you can NEVER have too much sage)

Happy Turkey Day!