Friday, November 09, 2007

Ruby Slippers

Red Driving Mocs
I haven't bought many clothes since we've lived in Germany. It's not because I don't like to shop; in fact, I've realized that recreational shopping is (sadly and so stereotypically) the pastime I miss about America on the most regular basis. My current lifestyle doesn't require cute outfits, and I usually find the prices here to be very high for low quality. That's probably due to the 19% sales tax.

But dragging around in the same clothes for two years, most of which I bought at least five years ago, depresses me just a little. Is that wrong? That clothes can make me happy or unhappy? Am I so shallow?

Yes. I think I am.

Which is why these cheery red shoes leapt out at me from the sidewalk sale rack a couple of weeks ago. They are comfortable, they fit me, and they were a bargain. Ten euros, baby. With the current exchange rate, I think that adds up to about thirty-eight dollars. (Kidding. But seriously, the value of the dollar is downright scary.)

(A bunch of people who own much more exciting shoes than I do are sharing their favorites on Flickr this month. If you have a shoe fetish, check them out.)


THEO'S BREAKFAST SOUNDTRACK: Greatest Hits : Talking Heads

3 comments:

Maria said...

I don't think it is shallow. If you feel like you look good, you tend to be happier. (You being anyone...not specific.) Personally, I like to dress nice. It makes me feel good, and different clothes are associated with different moods/feelings in my life.

Katie said...

I recently heard a great quote, third hand (okay, it was in an interview with Peter Saarsgard in In Style,) in which the person said, "Dare to look good". Why not?

Hot shoes.

C N Heidelberg said...

I think it's normal to feel better when you think you look better, so no worries :)

I don't miss recreational shopping at all, though! I'm kind of glad to be away from too much of it...