Friday, November 16, 2007

Fa la la la la

I'm pretty sure I am not the first person ever to say this, but holy cow, where did autumn go? Suddenly it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas and I am still sitting around admiring the cute pictures of my baby dressed as a Halloween pumpkin.

I never expected to hold Americans up as models of restraint when it comes to holiday decorations. My American grocery store used to start stocking the Valentine candy on December 26th, followed by Easter eggs on February 15th and 4th of July napkins on the first of May. But we do happen to be the only country in the world that has that good old old starting-gun, Thanksgiving, and I think it saves us from decking the halls in mid-October. I realize that few retail establishments follow this guideline anymore but some still do (Nordstrom? Are you still with me? CALL ME.) and I don't know any actual, non-profit families who put up a Christmas tree before turkey day.

I acted slightly horrified when I saw the wreaths and ribbons and twinkly lights going up on buildings around town last week. But then something magical happened. It snowed, and we had snow on the ground for three days, and suddenly I was ready to break out the Elvis Christmas CD and don me now my gay apparel.

I wish I knew where I was going with this, besides finding an excuse to announce to all three of my readers that I was so inspired that I finished over half of my Christmas shopping, all thanks to that snowstorm. You may now mock me and hate me and call me a goody-goody who can't handle the crowds at the mall like a REAL shopper. But I'll be off baking gingerbread men.

THEO'S BREAKFAST SOUNDTRACK: Greatest Hits : Journey
(Stone in Love is a really underrated song.)

2 comments:

Maria said...

I wish US stores would show more restraint. Most around here have had the Christmas stuff out since early October. Forget bypassing Thanksgiving, they basically went right over Halloween...except the Halloween stuff had been out since the end of August. Grr. The only benefit I have found? I bought my Thanksgiving stuff on sale/clearance last week-- napkins, decorations, etc-- for the big day next week.

Lilacspecs said...

It's weird, thinking that this time next year I won't be having Thanksgiving. My boyfriend tried to make me feel better and told me we could stuff a chicken. Apparently full size turkeys are not sold in Belgium....meh.