Friday, November 02, 2007

The Breakfast Show

I'm not someone who knows about music, or who knows musicians, or who has heard of that band, or who shows up at a club at midnight because so-and-so is staging a secret show. If you doubt me, just recall that I bailed on seeing Gwen Stefani because I found out there wouldn't be chairs at her concert.

However, my life has a soundtrack and it is important to me. Most of the time that soundtrack is hideously lowbrow. For example, the first album that rolls off my iPod is usually from .38 Special. (Shout out to all the "Hold on Loosely" fans out there!) I love to sing along to my favorite songs so much that I go to the trouble of learning all the words. And it irritates me when other people (Hi Jeff!) sing the wrong words to "Hey Mama" by the Black Eyed Peas. I love to dance around the apartment, and slap the dashboard of the car, and pretend I'm Britney. (RIP Britney's dignity, by the way. I really feel for her, and her kids, and her various bodyguards/manservants/exhusbands.)

Now, parents all have dreams for their children. Mine is that Theo will learn to love real music (SHUT UP, Adam Ant is real music), and that he will enjoy dancing around the house with me to something besides "Fruit Salad" by The Wiggles. (It's OK to hate me, parents, because I've put that infernal song in your head for the rest of the day. Yummy! Yummy!) I'm starting early on this project by exposing his tender ears to the tunes on my iPod every morning during breakfast. So, while he's eating his bananas (B-A-N-A-N-A-S), he's being subliminally indoctrinated by Fiona Apple. This has the added bonus of reuniting me with some long lost music that I'd kind of forgotten was lurking outside my usual playlist rotation. It even inspired me to buy some new music last week.

Why do you care? Because, you lucky things, I'm going to share our breakfast soundtrack with you every day this month. Most of the time it will just be a sweet little one-liner at the end of the post, like this, which we listened to this morning:

THEO'S BREAKFAST SOUNDTRACK: "If I Could Turn Back Time: The Best of Cher"
(You should rush out and download "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" right now.)

5 comments:

JB said...

Readers please take note of this post in case Theo ends up in a boy band sometime in the future...it won't be nature, it will be nuture (brainwashing) and we will know where to point the finger....

Love
Theos Dad

Zoe said...

I'm right there with you. I limit the kiddie music...mostly for my own sanity. Right now the fave is "play linkin park, the one with the naughty words"...maybe I ought to work on finding edited versions?

Nicole said...

Forget the Wiggles earworm--that Cher song will now be stuck in my head until next Thursday!

chad said...

Bravo Blythe!! You officially get my vote fore Mom of the Year. It is never to early to begin a childs education of the CLASSICS that is 70's and 80's pop/rock music. Just hold on loosely and keep on rollin and don't let Jeff derail you. Keep your eye of the tiger on the prize!

EuroTrippen said...

I just asked Sydney what some of her favorite songs were and she quoted stuff from The Clash, Radiohead, REM, Cake & The Pretenders.

Am I proud? Oh yeah...