Friday, July 06, 2007

Finish her off

Through some cruel twist of fate (fate being related to Rupert Murdoch), we receive the American Fox News channel via our British satellite television. And right now, as I type on my laptop in our living room, I am watching an unidentified woman driving down a deserted Los Angeles freeway, below the speed limit, without so much as changing lanes. And three men are grasping at straws for play-by-play commentary. I'm quite sure they realize she isn't O.J., and yet they're still talking. One of them just said, "Is there a reason they didn't jump in there and finish her off? Maybe she is mentally unstable."

I think they might be talking about me. Because I've been watching for twenty minutes can't seem to turn the channel.

(The announcer just said that I-5 is straight and boring and people tend to nod off while driving on it. Did it occur to them how boring it might be to WATCH someone drive on I-5?)

3 comments:

debbie said...

Hi there. Do you actually have Sky TV(meaning you pay monthly to the UK), or just a plain old dish pointed at Astra2? Just wondering because we have a dish now (not Sky) and don't get Fox News. (At least that means no Bill O'Reilly, so there is an upside). We have BBC, ITV, Zone Reality, etc, but not Fox...

Gary said...

Wow. Finish her off? Do you suppose they mean that the way it sounds like?

Blythe said...

I know, it sounds a little harsh. But the Fox announcers have never been known for their subtlety and restraint. As I recall, it was hard to tell exactly what they meant.