Thursday, June 07, 2007

"Holy shit! It's Mister Fucking Rogers!"

There are so many emotions involved with having a child. I've only had Theo for four and a half months, so I'm sure I have barely scratched the surface. But besides all the frustration and delight and fear and all the other things I feel, I am simply grateful for the chance to take care of another human being, and to watch him become whoever he is.

I remember in 2003, hearing on the radio that Mr. Rogers had passed away. I happened to be spending most of my day in the car, and I listened to NPR for hours as they replayed his interviews and as people - famous and regular - talked about what he had meant to them. Today, I happened upon this article about Mr. Rogers, and it reminded me of that day. I remember wondering exactly how such a person could even exist in such a complex and difficult world. Maybe that's why I liked his show so much when I was a child.

I hope I can focus on the gratitude as he did, and have the curiosity and sense of humor about my child that he had about all children. You should read about him, and remember watching him put on his sweater (did you know his mother knitted all those sweaters for him?). It will make you happy.

1 comment:

EuroTrippen said...

Mr. Rogers was very sweet, but Lady Elaine always scared the shit out of me...