Saturday, June 30, 2007

Books - June 2007

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
It's not often that historical fiction feels like a beach read, but this one did.

The World According to Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson
I read this for a book group. Half the group found him funny and the others agreed with someone who said he and Anne Coulter should be locked up in a cave together to wallow in the hate. I just think he needs to have a margarita and cheer up.

The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America by Michael Ruhlman
A foodie's delight. Not as funny as his buddy Tony Bourdain, but probably more accurate. Make sure your fridge is full before you read it, because you'll feel suddenly hungry every time you pick it up.

The Quiet American by Graham Greene
I just adore slender novels that pack character and story and education into every sentence. This novel about Vietnam and war and love makes every word count.

1 comment:

EuroTrippen said...

I'm a fan of Jeremy Clarkson... be it the newspaper column, his books, or his tv show. I could care less about cars, but (thanks to Clarkson) I never miss an opportunity to tune in to Top Gear.

I can see how he'd rub some the wrong way... which makes me like him all the more.