Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Take this

More evidence that I am a pop-culture market unto myself:



This is a Take That* video. I love this song (it's no use making fun of me, if you read my blog you know I'm also addicted to Billy Squier), and I can't figure out a way to legally download it because I have American iTunes and it hasn't been released in America. iTunes, this makes no sense. The Internet doesn't know the difference among the USA, Germany, and Britain, so why do you?

*Americans, Take That sang that ballad in the 90's "Back for Good" ('Whatever I said, whatever I did, I didn't mean it...I just want you back for goo-oo-ood...(want you back, want you back for goo-ood)'). European audiences don't need an explanation because over here Take That were almost as big as the Beatles. And Robbie Williams spun off, and there was a big scandal, and now Robbie is the new rebel John Lennon, and Take That have reunited without him. Americans, don't ask me to explain Robbie Williams to you. He's kind of like the male Kylie Minogue.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Robbie Williams like Kylie Minogue? Oh, I don't think I can go along with that comparison.

Blythe said...

Yes, you caught me, over-generalizing again. I was just trying to use language we clueless Americans can understand. "Oh, another one of those strange foreign popstars that couldn't quite make it over here in the big bad USA." Personally, I think Kylie & Robbie are on to something. They can hang out in the States without being harangued by quite as many papparazzi and leave the U.S. music market to geniuses like Paris Hilton.

Nicole said...

I know that Robbie did try recently (not long after I got back from Europe?) to make another go of it here in the U.S. He failed, again, which I find mystifying. I'll confess here that I really love Robbie Williams, which confuses my American friends and irritates my British friends. ;)

Blythe said...

I'm a fan too. I think he's become too huge and self-referential to ever make it in the U.S. though - he can get away with crazy videos (have you seen "Trippin'?") and rap songs about Madonna in Europe because people love him already. Have you read "Feel" by Chris Heath? Long, but fascinating.

C N Heidelberg said...

I hate that about iTunes too. Isn't there a way to change your country in iTunes and then switch it back? Once I was looking for something and it told me I couldn't hear a clip/see something/something like that unless I switched to the Japanese version of iTunes, so I did. Then I somehow switched back. The only problem is I'm not totally sure how I did this...

jonniker said...

I am fairly certain you can switch countries, but I don't know if you can actually BUY anything. I know mine was stuck on Japan for an inordinate amount of time