Monday, March 19, 2007

Love it/Hate it

Expat Meme courtesy of Heidelbergerin.

5) Name five things you love in your new country:

1. The amazing selection of fresh-baked bread and pastries

2. Efficient public transportation, within urban areas and throughout Europe

3. Learning about new cultures (not just German, but Turkish, Italian, etc)

4. Good social service programs including parental leave, and universal and (mostly) smooth-running health care

5. Easy access to interesting travel destinations that I can enjoy without jet lag.


4) Name four things that you miss from your native country:

1. Mexican food and fresh salads and sandwiches with lots of veggies

2. Friends and family (notice that they're #2 after the Mexican food - sorry guys, but I swore I'd tell the truth when I started this blog)

3. Easy parking - plentiful and large parking spaces. Or maybe that's because I have a panic attack every time I try to back out of my scary garage.

4. Participating in the nuances of my surroundings - understanding posters and signs, eavesdropping on strangers, ordering food just the way I like it, reading a daily newspaper


3) Name three things that annoy you a bit (or much) in your new country:

1. Dead Sundays. When everything is closed on Sundays, we choose between a blur of errands or a sightseeing trip on Saturdays when businesses are open, then sit around on Sunday wishing we could have spread the activity out over the weekend.

2. Absence of air conditioning. Anywhere. Including hospitals.

3. Smoking. Everywhere.


2) Name two things that surprise you (or surprised you in the beginning) in your new country:

1. How cautious many Germans are when it comes to expressing national pride. This was especially evident during the World Cup, when everyone kept commenting on how unusual it was to see German flags flying.

2. So many smokers in such an environmentally aware and health-conscious population


1) Name one thing that you would miss terribly in your new country, if you had to leave it.

1. Cheap flights to cool, new-to-me destinations. Also, Haribo gummi bears.

I tag B, Mausi, Maria, Christina, and Isabelle.

4 comments:

christina said...

Oh boy, I'll try not to get carried away. :-)

C N Heidelberg said...

Thanks for doing this meme!

I will never understand the smoking thing either. They talk about preservatives and food colorings like they're satan incarnate, they exercise like mad and obsess over fresh air...and then they smoke. They do the one thing that's been without question absolutely positively proven to be incredibly unhealthy. WARUM!?

Christina said...

I don't think Germans are really all that health-conscious. Environment-conscious, certainly, but from my observation, they don't drink nearly enough water or eat many fruits and veggies.

christina said...

I'm finally doing this today!