Tuesday, November 21, 2006

You're trying hard not to show it

I've never been such a perfectionist that I understood that kid in school who didn't finish his English paper because he wrote and wrote and nothing was good enough so he just didn't turn it in. And that's not because I thought what I'd written was genius; it's because I was all about getting it done as quickly as possible so I could go out for frozen yogurt with my friends, or watch more MTV, quality be darned. (80's much?) I just thought to myself, "Slacker," and skipped down the hall after class in my Normandy Rose jeans.

But I've developed perfectionist performance anxiety about cleaning. I sit on my couch and think, "Gross, there is a dead fly lying under the TV stand. I should really walk over there and pick it up. Well, I should probably sweep the floor. Actually, I should sweep the floor and mop the floor. And the baseboards should be scrubbed. Holy cow, I don't have enough energy to scrub the baseboards, I will just stay here on the couch drinking my vanilla Coke and watching Dr. Phil." So there lies the fly corpse, RIP.

It doesn't help that I am now barely able to rise to a standing position unaided. I don't think I'm so humongous (well, maybe I'm humongous, who knows) but my balance is thrown off to the point that I find myself holding on to the furniture like someone's grandmother making her way across the room to where she left her walker. I would post a photo so you could see my shape for yourself, but frankly I don't really enjoy having my photo taken in the best of times, and right now I'm not feeling at my most lovely. I promise to remedy the situation one of these days, when I've washed my hair and put on some makeup and am wearing something besides velour sweats. A wise few among you just reminded yourselves not to hold your breath.

Also, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes got married over the weekend, just in case you hadn't heard.

8 comments:

daniela said...

1. i want photos.

2. the cleaning thing? its called nesting. remember the fit i had when mike wouldn't put up the curtains after i had lovingly ironed them for the baby room? remember 3am when i replaced all the shelf liners in my kitchen? remember crying because the grout in the bathroom wouldn't get clean?

ahhhh... pregnancy and motherhood - what a beautiful joyous emotional roller coaster

Maria said...

If you share your picture, I'll share mine (and I only have 2 more weeks until I'm due)!!! I find getting out of bed the hardest, but getting off the couch is a close second. The whole nesting has gotten increasingly strong over the past week. Everything is getting done, but it is important to remember to rest!

Good luck!

Carol said...

You're nesting! It's once of the fringe benefits of pregnancy!!

My husband wishes I would nest again (without the prenancy part...)!

Carol

Blythe said...

Yes, I've heard of this nesting of which you speak.

But doesn't nesting involve actual action? Like ironing and scrubbing and rearranging? Right now, I'm just sitting around feeling like I ought to do these things, and then ignoring the impulse. I have the feeling that my way is less stressful.

Maria said...

Nesting generally does include doing, but I spent a few weeks making a HUGE list of things to do first. LOL!

EuroTrippen said...

Just be sure to take the pregnancy photos even if you don't post them. That way when your son's 16 and unruly you can show him and say "see what I went through to bring you into this world?"

Follow it up with how long you were in labor and be sure to mention his unusually large head circumference. After that he's sure to tow the line.

As for cleaning/nesting, I think Mr. BS should assume dead fly retrieval. If he balks, just tell him flies cause toxoplasmosis. While you're at it, mention you read somewhere that mopping and dusting cause toxoplasmosis... hey, it's worth a shot.

Brian said...

I nest all the time. all the time. my roommates hate it. I come back from travel and clean everything. granted, its in part because they clean nothing. but still. i get it.

maybe I'm pregnant...

Maria said...

Eurotrippen forgot to mention the use of stretch marks! Boy had better be grateful!

BTW-- I looked at your picture, and I can only wish to be that small. Eleven days until my due date and counting...