Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Books - November 2006

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
I was simultaneous attracted and repelled by this book; I'd heard it was a must-read, but the subject matter (a memoir outlining the first year after Didion's husband's death and her daughter's serious illness) sounded too sad. And while it was sad, it was simply so heartfelt and personal that I didn't feel emotionally manipulated at all.

Tsotsi by Athol Fugard
This story about a young gangster in 1950's South Africa seeking redemption after he begins to care for a tiny baby sounds sentimental, but this book is anything but.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
My new favorite author, man of a thousand voices. The narrator, an aging British butler, tells the gentle, funny, tragic story as only he could tell it.

Minus Nine to One: The Diary of an Honest Mum by Jools Oliver
A light and sweet book that I picked up in a bookstore and read straight through on the train. Not the first pregnancy and parenting book I would buy for a friend, but I would loan her my copy.

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp, M.D.
Here beginneth the march of the childrearing books that will bore you unless you are pregnant or have a small baby. Who knows if this works. Who knows if I will remember any of its contents by the time I need them. But it does feature illustrations of smiling babies.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth
I read this in hopes that I won't need to pick up its sequel, Your Fussy Baby.

Close Range: Wyoming Stories by Annie Proulx
Want to know about modern life in the foothills of the Rockies? Read these stories. They are true.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Have you read Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro? I highly recommend it, though I think it is quite different from Remains of the Day.

Blythe said...

Yes, it was the first Ishiguro book I read. His ability to write about wildly different characters and subjects in such different voices makes me swoon.