Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mmm...Donuts...

I spent yesterday morning with two Franconian bodybuilders.

I live in Franconia, a proud and historic subsection of Bavaria, where people speak with a particular accent and eat a lot of bratwurst and gingerbread. I was invited to join a group of women to make a special Franconian pastry in preparation for upcoming church festivals. Of course I signed up immediately when I heard the word "pastry." The item in question turned out to be a square yeast donut, deep fried in butterfat and sprinkled with powdered sugar. They're even better than they sound; I devoured the half dozen that I brought home in less than 24 hours.

The best part of the outing, however, was spending time in a traditional German kitchen, with two seventy-year-old women. They kneaded a giant wad of dough with upper body strength that could qualify them for an Olympic berth. I just sat next to the floury table and sweated.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

This is too weird. You're in Furth now AND you grew up in Montana?!? Other than Prague, Furth is probably the place in Europe where I've spent some of my happiest times. I have a good friend there, and he knows how to be a great host. I've done some serious drinking in Furth... Probably not your activity focus at this point, but still in all a very weird coincidence.