Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What does "EVS" mean?

According to my site stats, this is the question on Rockstar fans' fingertips. It all started when Toby painted the cryptic word on his chest a few weeks ago. He claimed that it is a derivative of "Whatever" - as in, "Whatever, I don't care if Dilana is going down in flames, I'm going to drink a pint and have a good time." "EVS" is plucked from the second-to-last syllable of "Whatever." And I think I've now used up my lifetime allotment of quotation marks.

Toby's explanation, however, is not backed up by the online Australian slang dictionaries that I've consulted. The word is absent from all locations except Toby's chest, apparently. Well, all locations except Toby's chest and my blog, which is why I am the #3 Google hit when you search on "What does EVS mean?" and why I'm writing this post in the first place, which should boost me straight to the top of the Google search. EVS, dude.

I still suspect that Toby is a huge Dylan fan, and EVS really means SOY BOMB.

(Here's a useful link if you're actually looking for information about the European Voluntary Service.)

8 comments:

Daniela said...

http://www.evssupply.com/home.asp

he's like duracell baby. he's a battery. he runs all night. he likes laptops. i dunno.

Anonymous said...

EVS isn't just a saying from 'down under' folks ...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=evs

Blythe said...

Apparently, Google thinks I'm a better authority than the Urban Dictionary. Awesome.

And Toby was totally lying when he said it was an Australian thing. I think he should be kicked off the show just for that. And Storm should be reinstated. Shout out to Team Storm!

Did anyone out there understand my SOY BOMB reference, or am I really, really old?

kathy said...

I CAN'T believe storm is gone and Dilana is there. I think it is rigged!

hot tomato said...

I totally got soy bomb! Don't worry!

Guido said...

Beautiful way of getting visitors. Congrats! Anyway, I didn't get the soy thing. Could you explain that pls?

Blythe said...

I'm glad to hear someone else remembers obscure awards show trivia!

Follow the link to the Wikipedia entry - it's about a performance artist who pulled a stunt at the Grammys. Toby's bad penmanship reminded me of it.

Free Hosting said...

I believe it.Thank you so much for your interesting information blog dude.