Thursday, September 28, 2006

Books - September 2006

The Coffee Trader by David Liss
First, take a trip to Amsterdam. Then, drink a strong cup of Turkish coffee. Finally, read this book about the birth of the coffee trade in 17th century Europe.

Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year by Anne Lamott
Anne Lamott has a way of making her minutely specific descriptions universal. That's why, though I hope I will never be a recovering-addict single mother with an unplanned baby, I can only hope that I will care for my son with the heart and humor she describes.

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner
I've been avoiding Jennifer "chick lit" Weiner for years. Silly me. Interesting story, funny bits, dramatic bits, no stupid heroines.

It's a Boy edited by Andrea J. Buchanan
Short essays about women and their sons. Good if you have short bits of reading time. I've already passed it on to another mom-expecting-a-baby-boy.

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Not one word wasted. Young cowboys. Forbidden love. Mexican desert. Pretty horses. Beautiful.

It's Banned Book Week. Go read a book someone thinks you shouldn't. I suggest something by Judy Blume or Madeline L'Engle or Maya Angelou or (oh, why not) Madonna.

3 comments:

daniela said...

Anastasia Krupnik (Series) by Lois Lowry !!?? why???

Blythe said...

Because Lois is trying to corrupt the children of the world. Obviously.

Carol said...

Operating Instructions is definitely one of my all-time favorites! I keep buying Anne's books, hoping to find one as much as I liked Operating Instructions, but I'm realizing it'll never happen!

Carol