Wednesday, September 20, 2006

After School Special

Have you seen Entertainment Weekly's list of the top fifty best high school movies?

The EW editors must love the mail they receive after they publish these "best of" and "worst of" lists. Especially in the age of e-mail, when any cubicle-dweller can shoot off a ten-paragraph diatribe on the travesty of excluding early Hilary Swank in The Next Karate Kid. Don't think I wasn't tempted to write my own missive on the ridiculous placement of Sixteen Candles at the bottom of the list (below Harry Potter and Bring It On?) I was glad to see that Flirting made it, as did Just One of the Guys. (The TV rights to that movie must be dirt cheap, it seems like it was running on a movie channel every time I used to turn on the TV in a hotel room during a business trip.) Also - Hoop Dreams and Rushmore.

I'll let you see for yourself what made the #1 spot. It's a defining film of my generation, though I am inclined to elevate EW's #2 film to #1 on my own Top 50 list. I always had the feeling that the older kids were cooler than the kids my age.

P.S.
Additional entertaining lists at Blender, including 50 Worst Things to Happen to Music (They're missing The Real World, which was the beginning of the end of music videos' presence on MTV) and 50 Worst Songs Ever. (Dude, some of my favorite songs are listed there. What's not to love about Sunglasses at Night?)

No comments: