Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Story Hour

At the risk of turning this into a book blog, I'm posting another entry about books. Deal with it.

Once upon a time, I was in a very nice book group with a bunch of very nice ladies. We drank wine and ate food and we really did talk about the books (well, except for those two or three meetings where only a couple of people read the book and everyone else had to be taken to task but eventually everything was smoothed over). They're still talking and reading and drinking. I'm still reading but not so much talking (except to myself) or drinking (except the Slurpees).

As a consequence of my reading habits and my longtime book group membership, I get asked "What book should I suggest for my book group?" a lot. So here are three books that went over very well with my (former) book group. Note that most of us hadn't heard of these books before someone dredged them up and forced us to read them. They weren't on Oprah or the Today show or anyone else's bookclub lists. Maybe that makes us a bunch of freaks, but if your book group is full of freaks too, then read these books:

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi
Scary but not trashy, though the cover and the fact that the author's name rhyms with Bela Lugosi will lead you to believe otherwise. My seatmates on Alaska Airlines scootched a little further away from me when they noticed what I was reading on the plane.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Reading this book eventually became a kind of initation rite for new members. We talked it up so much that now we get blamed whenever someone doesn't like it. ("You called this a masterpiece? I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a masterpiece.") But we did love it. We didn't love her next book, The Little Friend, as much. (But if you can figure out who freaking killed Robin, please email me because I went to a reading and Ms. Tartt swears that the answer is in the book. Apparently I'm too obtuse to figure it out.)

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
Don't tell me you aren't interested in Sci Fi or that you don't like to read about god or religion. This story is about the universe, and humanity. And music. It's awesome.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

The Sparrow is a very good book and I don't even like to read. More posts, more posts....if I have to be here in Germany working and supporting your shopping lifestyle you could at least post more so I have something to read at work.....

Mr. Blythespirit