Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hasta la vista, Baby

For the past few weeks, I've been the Cranky Expatriate.

I've whined about everything from the language (who really cares about grammar anyway? oh wait, I do) to the weather (the heat, my god, the heat) to the food (don't even get me started). In the middle of a country full of Germans celebrating their native land, I've been wallowing in homesickness. I'm tired of everything from paprika-flavored potato chips to the low customer service standard at my local grocery store. I'm tired of being barked at when someone doesn't understand my German (really, man, I'm trying hard) and sick of being expected to keep a separate garbage can full of rotting food (don't tell the Hausmeister, but I think we may start a boycott).

I realized yesterday that it's been seven months since my last decent taco. Enough is enough. So I'm headed back to the USA for a few weeks. During my official Bratwurst Hiatus, this blog will take a hiatus too. I might post every now and then, but I might not. Since most of you, dear readers, will actually see me in person soon, you'll just have to prepare yourselves for the real me. And the rest of you will, I hope, bear with me. You'll be rewarded with a refreshed and salsa-filled virtual Blythe.

3 comments:

EuroTrippen said...

Ohhhh, to have decent salsa again! Enjoy your trip home... suck up all that central air conditioned goodness & come back with a spring in your step!

Berlinbound said...

Hope you have a great time eating your way throught your holiday back home! Just returning from there myself ...

Anonymous said...

What you are going through is called "cultural shock". You need to think more positively. How about therapy... or wait -- as an American you might also want to try antidepressants...
Don't wait until the others approach you, make the first move. It will pay off sooner of later, I can guarantee you.