Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Books - May 2006

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Armin
Politics among women haven't changed much over the years; humor remains intact as well. And, fortunately, so has the dreamy beauty of the Italian countryside.

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
A breezy read for anyone who loves Ms. Austen.

Shopaholic Abroad by Sophie Kinsella
A Bridget Jones knockoff that I picked up in desperation at one bookstore's lackluster English-language section. Unfortunately, by the end, I was in agreement with the heroine's detractors who saw her as an irresponsible airhead.

Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler
A soothing story about one woman's musings on the life that could have been.

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
I'm not sure why I manage to forget how funny this book is, but each time I re-read it I am surprised by how many times I laugh out loud. Also, more lovely Italian and English scenery.

The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry
This is the best portrayal of a down-and-out small town in the American west that I've ever read. Read it and see why Larry McMurtry can get away with wearing jeans to the Oscars.

Divided Lives by Elsa Walsh
This nonfiction account of three high-power women and their struggles to balance competing life goals rings just as true as it did when it was published ten years ago. It's especially interesting to read the section on Meredith Vieira, written post-60 Minutes disgrace and pre-The View, Millionaire and Today success.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
I re-read this smart page-turner every couple of years and am reminded why it's still one of my favorite books, even though I know the answer to the mystery. Creepy and cool.

Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl
A behind the scenes look at the career of the New York Times food critic and woman of many faces. Recipes included.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»