Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Rock Me Like a Hurricane

Nicky over at Delicious Days posted this questionnaire and I couldn't resist answering it. Help! I'm trapped in the 80s! But I'm OK with that. Maybe I'm not trapped, I'm just lounging around with Martha Quinn, eating Reese's Pieces and getting a perm.

1. Music from your earliest childhood:
We had one of those wood-cabinet stereo systems and I loved to play Guilty by Barbra Streisand/Barry Gibb on vinyl. I also performed interpretive dances to the entire Neil Diamond Jazz Singer soundtrack. The first .45 given to me as a gift was by Mel Tillis. (shout out to all the Mel fans in the audience) The first .45 I bought myself was Vacation by the Go-Gos.

2. Music you connecting with your first great love:
Two Princes by the Spin Doctors (I know, isn't that weird?) and Running on Faith by Eric Clapton.

3. Music you're listening to right now:
The latest downloads on my ipod are JCB by Nizlopi, Crash by the Primitives, Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols, Molly's Chambers by Kings of Leon, and Switch by Will Smith

4. A song you’d rather not publicly admit to like, whereas in fact you really do:
The entire Wide Open Spaces album by the Dixie Chicks, NOT because they dared to express their opinions in public (horrors!) but because I left Montana swearing I would never ever listen to country music again once I was free of the single radio station in my hometown, yet this is in my top three play-in-the-car-and-sing-along albums (see #13). My Maria by Brooks & Dunn qualifies in this category too. And I'm a huge MJ fan; as much as I'd like to shun him for his transformation into a freakish pariah, I can't let go of Smooth Criminal.

5. Music that accompanied you going through severe lovesickness:
Missing You by John Waite, Careless Whisper by Wham!, Crazy for You by Madonna and Souls by Rick Springfield. Hmmm, I wonder if you can figure out when I was in junior high?

6. Music representing your favorite instrumental:
Moments in Love by Art of Noise. No, this isn't the one with the jerky video of the little girl dressed like a punk rocker. I've heard many different mixes of this song; my favorite is a long version played on KINK.FM in Portland that I've never been able to find online.

7. Music played by one of your favorite bands:
It's hard to top When Doves Cry by Prince. The entire Duran Duran-Rio album still makes me stop and listen even after it has been overplayed and remixed to death.

8. Music that allows you to relax best:
Coldplay.

9. Music standing for a real good time in your life:
I started paying close attention to music during a year I spent in the UK on foreign exchange when I was 16. I discovered New Order, The Cure, The Jam, The Smiths, and Erasure during that time, and I love them still. Other teens in America were listening to them too, but not in my hometown.

10. Songs that would currently qualify as your favorite:
I'm still listening to Lass Mich by Nena. I also just downloaded Pretty Vegas by INXS. Yes, I'm a traitor to the memory of Michael Hutchence and I really didn't like that Fortune guy when he was on the TV show, but I just can't get the song out of my brain.

11. Music you like, neither German nor English:
The Gipsy Kings.

12. Music you can let off steam best to:
Hair bands! Journey! Def Leppard! Bon Jovi! ROCK ON.

13. Music you sing along to in the car:
Yes, the Dixie Chicks (see #4). Also, a mix of bootylicious dance tunes including Naughty Girl (Beyonce), Milkshake (Kelis), Genie in a Bottle (Xtina), I'm a Slave for You (Britney), I Need to Know (Mark Anthony), Push It (Salt n Pepa) and Hey Mama (Black Eyed Peas). Pat Benatar and Billy Joel work well for me too.


14. Soundtracks that complete an almost perfect movie:
Love movies, love music, love everything Cameron Crowe ever did, including the defining movie moment of my generation, Lloyd Dobbler holding a boom box in Diane Court's yard, playing In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel. So I'm a big cliche. Get over it. As for movie scores, I find myself listening to the music from The (remake of) Thomas Crown Affair a lot.

15. A song you like because of its lyrics:
Ghosts by The Jam

1 comment:

Nicky said...

Hi Blythe,
thanks for playing along! I recognized many songs in your post, which I didn't mention in mine - but still enjoy a lot! For example Guilty by Barbra Streisand/Barry Gibb, that's a song I could listen to for hours... Concerning music, the 80s weren't too bad, were they... ;)