Monday, January 16, 2006

Best of 2005

Best movie I saw: Brokeback Mountain. It's a remarkable love story, and though not everyone will love it, it might move you even if you're just going to see it because you want to seem open-minded. I loved the cowboy-ness of it. Montana looks just like that, including the people. Even though the story is set in Wyoming, and was shot in Alberta.

Best book I read: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I resisted this book when it seemed like everyone else was reading it, until it sucked me right over to its shelf in Powells. Then it was rubber-cemented to my hand until I finished. Personal, sweeping, quirky, universal, funny, New Yorky, American, European, quitenssentially 40's, timeless, it's all there. And there are superheroes.

Best salad I made: The Rocky Mountain Salad in this Colorado Junior League cookbook is supremely tasty. It's a little different (artichoke hearts! and pureed onions in the dressing!) but not so challenging that people feel they must quiz you about the ingredients (are those kumquats in there, because I am allergic to kumquats) before eating it.

Best dress: I loved this dress that Cate Blanchett wore to the Oscars. I can't wait until someone invites me. I plan to ask Narciso Rodriguez to design my gown.

Best concert I saw: Folks, I must cop out and award a tie to U2 and Duran Duran. You already read about Simon, John, Nick, Andy, and Roger. Bono, Edge, Adam, and (sigh) Larry rocked, too. In fact, they rocked even more, because that's what U2 is best at (versus writhing and looking moody, which is more Duran Duran's domain). U2 might have won out, but Bono seemed slightly worn out during the first few songs. He'd just been named Time magazine's person of the year (along with the Billinda Gates), so maybe he was tuckered out from lifting his statuette.

No comments: